My new place has old floors. Some are 70 years old and others look to only be half that, but suffice to say, they’re old and they squeaked like crazy. It was so bad that I was self-conscious about walking around late at night. At times I’d even choose to wet the bed rather than risk waking my neighbor. NO MORE. With about an hour of effort and a $15 investment with the Squeeeek No More (that’s four ‘e’s) kit I have no more major squeaks. I could spend more time to eliminate them all, but some squeaks add character and I’ve only left the most minor of them.
- Locate a squeak.
- Locate a joist (my stud finder was broken so technically I spent more on this project to replace that, but it’s something I needed anyway – a deep scan was necessary for this too and my old one couldn’t do that).
- Drill a small hole.
- Put template/snapper over hole.
- Hand thread screw in a touch.
- Sink screw with a power tool and the included bit.
- If you have hardwoods, the template can self-snap. If you have softwoods, you snap them off manually (I had a mix so it was a bit of trial and error – may have ended up with an extra hole or two).
- Fill hole (I’ll get around to putting some wood filler in there, but for now I swept and pressed the drillings back in).
Most of my squeaks took 2-3 screws to fully resolve, but I only used about half the kit anyway. They also sell a kit for carpeted floors. A+ would recommend. Great product, good price, great fix.